Department: Health Center
Reports to: Physician in Charge
Job Location: Moorpark Avenue, San Jose
Work Hours: 30-40 Hrs/Wk, Exempt
Asian Americans for Community Involvement (AACI) which was founded in 1973 has an amazing opportunity for the above position in the non-profit sector. AACI’s mission is to improve the health, mental health, and well-being of individuals, families and the Asian community. We do this by providing an array of high quality health and human services, sharing expertise about the Asian community’s needs and best services delivery practices, and providing Asian leadership in advocating on key health and human services issues. AACI has over 170 employees and an annual budget of over $16M.
Under the direction of a site director, the Primary Care Physician provides professional medical services for AACI Health Center patients.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs physical examinations of new and existing patients and orders the diagnostic tests required to baseline relevant values.
- Interprets examination findings and test results in order to develop and implement treatment plans with patients and other care team members.
- Prepares and reviews patient case histories, interviewing patients and family members to diagnose presenting problems.
- Provides continuing, comprehensive health maintenance and medical care to patients and their families, including preventive care, and behavioral and community health care.
- Leads a multilevel, multidisciplinary team of clinical and non-clinical staff to provide outpatient services as scheduled, following appropriate quality and productivity standards of care. Collaborates with behavioral health and wellness colleagues to integrate health, behavioral health and wellness care for all AACI patients.
- Covers other clinicians, supervises midlevel practitioners and manages other clinical teams as appropriate, using standing orders and other generally accepted care practices to enable other team members to practice to the top of their licenses.
- Participates in surgical and gynecological care procedures according to training and demonstrated ability.
- Determines need for consultation or referral and assists in medical care treatment provided at the direction of other specialists. As indicated, refers patients to affiliated subspecialists or for inpatient treatment.
- Instructs other health care providers and non-medical personnel in a variety of health-related topics.
- Participates in clinical quality improvement processes, peer reviews and certifications.
- Adheres to AACI’s policies and procedures.
- As appropriate, teaches mid-level providers, residents and medical students.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with patients, colleagues, other medical staff, and the public.
- Utilizes Electronic Health Records proficiently in the health care setting.
- Participates in team meetings, data collection, health outcomes reporting, clinical audits, program evaluation, and quality improvement related to AACI’s Patient-Centered Medical Home strategic direction.
- Facilitates health and disease patient education, including leading group office visits and annual preventive visits.
- Supports patient self-management of disease and behavior modification interventions.
- On rotation, serves as on-call physician when the clinic is not open.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from a college or university accredited by the American Medical Association with a Doctor of Medicine degree or accredited by the American Osteopathic Association with a Doctor or Osteopathy degree. If educated abroad, the physician must possess a current Educational Council Foreign Medical Graduate (ECFMG) Certificate.
- Successful completion of an approved program of residency training in a primary care specialty. (Board certification preferred.)
- Licensed to practice medicine in the State of California
- Current DEA registration.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of family medicine, general internal medicine, or pediatrics.
- Knowledge of the local, state and federal regulations pertaining to medicine and to community health centers.
- Knowledge of the structure and function of community health centers.
- Skill in communicating effectively with patients and their families.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other employees, patients and the general public.
- English language proficiency required. Proficiency in another language (Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish or Vietnamese) preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently bends, lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds with relative ease. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
AACI is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, religion (includes religious dress and grooming), marital status, domestic partnership status, family care leave status, medical condition as defined under California law, mental or physical disability (including persons infected with the HIV virus or persons with AIDS), genetic information, immigration status, military service or veteran’s status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions (including lactation), or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.