Department: Integrated Front Desk
Reports to: Integrated Services Lead
Job Location: Moorpark Avenue, San Jose
Work Hours: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Asian Americans for Community Involvement (AACI) which was founded in 1973 has an amazing opportunity for the above position in the non-profit sector. AACI’s mission is to improve the health, mental health, and well-being of individuals, families and the Asian community. We do this by providing an array of high quality health and human services, sharing expertise about the Asian community’s needs and best services delivery practices, and providing Asian leadership in advocating on key health and human services issues. AACI has over 170 employees and an annual budget of over $16M.
The Integrated Front Desk Receptionist is responsible for answering, screening and transferring of telephone calls for the agency Call Center; scheduling, rescheduling and canceling of appointments; registering patients; answering patient questions; assisting with referral process and checking insurance eligibility. This position reports to the Integrated Front Desk Lead. Full time, 40 hours per week.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Answer all Call Center incoming calls and properly route calls via appropriate transfer, message taking, or follow-up and return call, routinely check the queue to monitor number of calls on-hold.
- Relay patient questions, requests and other calls to the appropriate person/department.
- Efficiently and accurately schedule, reschedule and/or cancel medical appointments as requested by the patient and in accordance with AACI’s Appointment Scheduling Policy.
- Check insurance and verifies eligibility information.
- Collect payments from patients in accordance with AACI’s policies of handling cash.
- Assist with referral process.
- Collect, update and verify all pertinent patient demographic and insurance information.
- Participate in patient education and health promotion activities.
- Participate in quality assurance activities.
- Communicate with VMC clinics, outside specialists’ offices, and other clinics and hospitals.
- Provides administrative support to health care providers and management.
- Attend and participate in training and meetings as required and assigned.
- Provides information regarding Covered California outreach and enrollment.
- Provide quality customer service to patients and providers.
- Resolves patient inquiries, complaints or concerns regarding their accounts or appointments.
- Communicate with direct supervisor regularly on the status of operations, patient access, medical records, insurance coverage updates and any other related issues.
Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree preferred.
- Bilingual in Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese or Spanish strongly preferred.
- Experience in a healthcare environment is a plus.
- Experience using electronic practice management systems is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrate strong customer service skills.
- Demonstrate understanding of patient services principles.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of community primary care and mental health comparable outpatient clinic operations.
- Strong oral communication skills and effective writing skills.
- Attention to detail and organization.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of HIPAA guidelines.
- Demonstrate basic problem solving skills and use proper communication channels until the problem is solved.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Knowledge of culture and family dynamics as it pertain to Asian Americans.
- Computer skills including proficiency in data entry, internet use and Microsoft office applications.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently bends, lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds with relative ease. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus
AACI is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.